Thursday, 19 April 2012

The New Job, An Update

     So 3 days into my new job and how is it going? Well, it's going fine. It's different and it's taking some getting used to. It's a smaller kitchen and there's no function or banqueting work. It's also a much smaller kitchen team. I am enjoying it but I do hate the first week when you start a new job. I'm not sure what it's like in other trades but in Catering most Head Chefs have their own ways of doing things. That means that a lot of what you know alters when you start a new job. The basics still count and certain ways of doing things but alot sort of goes out of the window. An example is that I needed to make an Onion Jam the other day. I learned how to make Onion Jam years ago and so I started to gather the ingredients together. Red Onions, Brown Sugar, Red Wine, etc. The Head Chef saw me and told me another way of doing it. To be honest, his way is better but the fact that I'd been making it this one way for the past 12-13 years and it suddenly went out of the window. It is really like starting again.

     Saying that, I am starting to get into the swing of things now. I'm getting on really well with the other staff too which brings me onto the part of this post that you really want to read. How are things going regarding my living in Stealth. Well, my gender hasn't been questioned yet. It's been great not having the whole transgender thing hanging around my neck like a millstone. To them, I'm a woman and that's fine by me. With my last job, although I knew that when people referred to me as she they meant it, the fact that they once knew me as him, weighed on my mind. Here, they only know me as I am now. Of course, one day I may have to come clean. When that particular bridge comes I'll cross it, until then I'll just enjoy things.

2 comments:

  1. Not necessarily, you might just have a little time off for woman's trouble and get a bit of sympathy...

    Glad it is all going well, sounds like they might be aiming for a fancier standard there, look forward to some menus...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear its going well. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.