At school I hated maths. It was just beyond me, the numbers and the fractions, I could never get my head around it. I did manage to get a D at GCSE level 15 years which was one of my higher grades overall. I'm not entirely sure how though.
Recently I've begun retaking my GCSE's at college. For my future career plans I need Maths, English and Science at GCSE level. I'm actually really enjoying my Maths, infact it's my favourite subject! The lecturer is really nice though and I've got a nice group of friends there. She just makes it sound so easy though. I've pretty much master long division with decimal points, something I wouldn't have had a clue about 2 weeks ago! Considering I was a chef for 14 years, my obvious lack of basic maths skills is quite scary!
Talking about being a Chef I'm going to be heading back into a kitchen in the very near future. It's something that I've thought about and although I'm still not wanting to be a chef long term, short term it might be my best option. I've contacted a few agencies with a view to doing some temp relief work. It's something I considered way back in April after my GRS. I think I just needed a clean break though and it has done me good. I feel refreshed and I'm kinda excited about the idea of cooking again. The beauty of relief work is that I'll be moving around, not always stuck in the same kitchen. I should also be able to work it around my college commitments! A driving force behind my decision though is money. I'm earning minimum wage doing nights in a nursing home and although it's a rewarding job in many aspects, it's not a job I enjoy. Nights are exhausting and I'm struggling on the minimum wage. As an agency chef I could command between £10-£15/hour which kinda spits on the £6.39/hour I'm presently earning!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.