A friend of mine, someone I've known for nearly five years, has recently jetted off to Thailand for her GRS surgery. It's really got me thinking because looking back, when we met, did either of us ever think we'd both end up post-op. The reason I'm saying this is that when we met a question was asked.
Basically it was July 2009. I had recently 'come out' to my parents and I'd begun seeing a councillor to discuss my gender concerns. One Thursday night I decided to visit a Nottingham based trans support group called the Nottingham Chameleons. As it was my first visit I was looked after by a T-Girl called Lynn. She was lovely and I still read her blog, Y.A.T.G.B. Anyway, another girl I met that night was perhaps the only girl who was anywhere close to my age and she was called Samantha. I can remember being struck with how convincing she looked and at first I thought she was a genetic female. Anyway, the three of us chatted and a question was asked that went along the lines of 'Will you ever go full-time and have the op?'. Lynn was a no go from what I can remember and Samantha agreed in the fact that it would be a deal-breaker as far as their respective relationships were concerned. I said that I thought I would but even I wasn't sure whether it would be possible or not.
Fast forward nearly five years and I'm coming up to a year post-op and Samantha is in Thailand! It just goes to show that you should never say never! Although we have similar themes to our respective transitions we have different stories to tell. I went the NHS route and although it's a route that worked for me, I would've gone private had I been able to afford it. Saying that, I've had it pretty good on our National Health Service and so I shouldn't be ungrateful. I've had Gender Realignment Surgery, Breast Augmentation Surgery as well as as much support, advice and counselling as I've needed. Also, thinking about it constructively, I'm not sure that I would've been comfortable undergoing such a life changing surgery in a different continent. I got homesick in London for crying out loud! Transition isn't a one size fits all thing though and I'm not sure I could imagine Sam in the bowels of Charing Cross Hospital on F-Bay!
I can't tell you how excited and pleased for her I am though. GRS is a truly magical and life-affirming experience. It changes you, changes how you see certain things. I would go through it all again if I had too. Saying that I'm not sure I fancy the recovery again, that was hard.
It is sometimes surprising how we develop in life. Something that we seem so sure about one moment can change over the years.
ReplyDeleteI will be experiencing the NHS though when I travel down to CXH with my friend for her surgery in May. So maybe I will be able to do a fairly accurate comparison?
Thanks for writing such nice things Em x