Last year I was lucky enough to have Gender Reassignment Surgery (GRS) and Breast Augmentation (BA), both on the NHS. I didn't feel guilty about this which might make me seem a terrible person. Why should I drain vital NHS funds, funds that some would say are better served treating cancer and other life threatening conditions. GRS saved my life so in many ways, that particular operation was a life saving procedure. If GRS hadn't been available on the NHS then I wouldn't be here now, it's as simple as that. Now you can probably see why I feel no guilt over that particular operation. BA on the other hand, well I did feel a little bit guilty over that. Essentially it was cosmetic but, and it is a rather big but, it changed my life! It didn't save my life but it did give me confidence and it has helped with how people see me. People see a good rack on someone and they instantly think female! It's inbuilt in our minds to put breasts and female together!
Something that isn't on the NHS is Facial Feminisation Surgery (FFS) and that's fair enough. It's not something I'm desperate for to be honest because I'm not sure it's something I absolutely need. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't do me any harm. Any procedure that makes me look more feminine can only be a good thing right? It's still not an operation I'm desperate for though. Now, if it was available on the NHS then I would have some thinking to do because then, then it might become something I needed. It's strange how the opportunity for a freebie can change someones perception. The bad thing is that as with GRS and BA, I wouldn't feel a great deal of guilt! Now, does that make me a terrible person?
> Why should I drain vital NHS funds....
ReplyDeleteI could make a joke about managerial costs versus new t*ts, but that would probably be rude ;-)
Weak gags aside, why shouldn't you? Where do we draw the line on necessary versus (alleged) unnecessary treatments? Should we treat people who are likely to be repeat visitors (heavy smokers, drinkers, extreme sports people, etc), or should it be all are welcome? Can I end this paragraph without a question? :-)
In the great swing of things, if having your chest surgery has helped you, you may well have saved lots of money and time on therapy or drugs.