Sunday, 5 July 2015

Until The Next Time!

Back Row (L-R)
Jo, Me, Emily, Dave, Andy Y, Leanne, Gail (Psychology Lecturer), Sarah P, Andy W, Abbi, Sarah S
Front Row (L-R)
Josh H, Richard (English Lecturer), Kelly, Tammie, Paige
Last night I bid farewell to a group of people who ten months ago I didn't even know existed. What a strange thought that is but that's the nature of life isn't it. One day we just meet people who we find common ground with, who we connect with and who become essential elements within our lives. That's what I found with my fellow graduates from the Chesterfield College Access to Higher Education Humanities group. A group of people all on their own journeys yet with a common bond and a common purpose; following their dream of a better future. Yes, we all knew this day would come, we all knew that we would have to say goodbye to each other and head off to our respective universities. Despite that knowledge hanging over us for nine months, it was still emotional and a bitter sweet end to a fantastic period in our lives. Nine months ago we were college students, now we are essentially university students. Courses such as Psychology, Primary School Teaching, English, Creative Writing, Social Work and Journalism await us in September. New experiences, new friends, new lives. With all of this to come, why is it so hard to let go? Why is it so difficult to say goodbye? Why does life seem a little emptier now?

Bitter sweet is a description I’ve used a lot when talking about the end of the college course. It’s sweet because I’m heading to university and a brand new life. I’m breaking free and in terms of my transition, my move to North Wales represents that perfectly. I’m breaking free from the chains of my old life. I’ll be studying English Literature and Journalism which will give me the skills and grounding towards a career in media. I want to gain a stage and have my voice heard; a voice I want to use for the good of the transgender community. Life is on the up for me, a deep determination to succeed taking root. There is a bitter side to the end of college though, that of having to say goodbye.


The amazing 3 girls I was lucky enough to share a table with for
the past 9 months!
From L-R
Me, Emily, Leanne and Kelly
I hate goodbyes, always have. Having to say goodbye to my fellow Access students sucks, it really does! We have supported each other and we have all spent the last ten months going through the same stresses as we’ve battled to get the top grades. The course has changed me, there is no doubt about that! I’ve found a level of acceptance that I never imagined I’d get and as a result my confidence has improved. I’m a new person to the one I was last September, Emma 2.0 and that is thanks to my friends from college. I say friends because that is what they are to me, friends. Last night we may have hugged goodbye, we may have shed tears and we may feel sad that this chapter in our lives appears to be over. There’s no reason why we can’t all continue into the next chapter though, why we can’t all meet up at Christmas and next summer. We can Skype and message on Facebook and even Tweet. Last night we may have said our goodbyes but for me, it was merely ‘Until the next time!’  

1 comment:

  1. From everything you've written, Emma, it sounds as if you have a wonderful group of friends there. I hope that you make more wonderful friends at Bangor :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.