Wednesday, 16 November 2011

My Transexual Summer, part 2

I've just watched the second episode of My Transsexual Summer C4's new documentary. This week I related to a lot more that went on and it has really made me think again. It wasn't just the male to females that I could relate to either. A lot that the female to male transsexuals said also made a lot of sense in my own life. At the end of the day we are all on the same journey. We are all striving to achieve a body that matches our mind, to feel comfortable and happy in our own skin. Saying that I'm really glad that I'm not going the other way. There's the chest surgery which leaves a scar like a shark bite and the genitals require four different operations over the course of a year! If I just go for the genital op then it's one four hour op if everything goes ok. Obviously I could have a boob job or an op on my Adams apple but I'm not sure that these are available on the NHS. Anyway, getting back on topic.

     Last episode, Karen underwent her Vaginoplasty and so this week we caught up with her as she recovered in hospital. It got a couple of the other girls talking and they spoke about not really being bothered about the surgery. Once again this got me thinking about my own surgery somewhere in the future. I am going to have it, I'm not getting second thoughts about that at all. I think it's important to think about the reasons for it though. I don't hate my current genitals, I dislike them and they are a sign that I'm between genders. They make it impossible for me to feel confident pursuing possible romantic interests also. They also make it hard to wear certain kinds of clothes. I also want to go swimming! Of all the things that I'm looking forward to once those bandages come off, being able to go to the swimming baths is surprisingly high on the list.

     This week, Sarah, the girl at the beginning of her journey told her mum about her gender issues and it brought back a lot of memories for me. Not just the coming out part but when the girls spoke about coming down the stairs in a skirt for the first time. I can still remember how terrified I was for anyone to see me dressed  for the first time. Also, one of the girls, Drew, spoke about being scared to go out. For me, it's something that I've just battled through. I live by a major rule since I began my transition in that I make a point of not letting my transition alter the way in which I live my life. If I want to go somewhere then I just do it. Sure I have reservations sometimes and there are places that I try and avoid if I can, but they are places I'd avoid anyway. As for doing things and living life, you can't let a simple thing like having a sex change put you off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.