Tuesday, 13 December 2011

The Light Became Real

Today I had my latest appointment at Nottingham G.I.C. I have them every 3 months and they don't half come around quickly. I was actually eager for today's appointment because I had some blood tests done in September. I've been really interested in the results of those tests. As it turns out, the results have gone missing somewhere along the line so I need to get more done after Christmas.

     Today we mainly chatted about GRS or Gender Reassignment Surgery. In June next year I'll complete the 2 year Real Life Experience required before surgery. Basically, the NHS requires a minimum of 2 years living in your new gender before surgery is carried out. Most people have trouble with this as they see it as a needless thing. They know that they are transgender so why do they need to 'prove it'? I don't see the Real Life Test as proving anything. For me, it's been about settling down as a female. I've learnt so much and had to change so many aspects of my life that the 2 years has been a perfect time frame. Don't get me wrong, if I got a call tomorrow I'd do it as soon as possible, but I certainly don't see the RLE as anything but a positive thing. I guess that I have a certain amount of youth on my side (I'm 30 in March) but that shouldn't make much difference. I'm still playing the waiting game.

     Playing the waiting game was something else we touched upon. I explained that I don't feel I can truly start living until after GRS. I certainly wouldn't feel right going into a relationship before I had the Op. It's the next big thing I guess. I've 'come out', been refereed to the G.I.C., gone full-time and started hormones. The next thing is the big one.

     One of my main concerns recently has been the backlog created by the retirement of Tim Terry. He was the surgeon who operated out of Leicester and I would have seen him for GRS. Now, all patients are being referred to Charring Cross in London and the 2 remaining NHS surgeons, Bellringer (he was on My Transsexual Summer) and Thomas. Apparently though, the backlog is being eased as the east midlands health authority has been buying up a lot of the slots reserved for patients who pay Privately. This means that the 'backlog' shouldn't be a problem and my timeline should run as follows. In June I'll get referred to Charing Cross. I should then get an appointment with Bellringer or Thomas (my choice apparently) 10-12 weeks later. This should mean that I get seen at the beginning of September. Then, if everything is ok, I'll get a slot for surgery 10-12 weeks after that. That should mean that I'll undergo GRS at the end of November/beginning of December. That is kinda a scary thought, to think that in a years time I could have a vagina and be female. It's good scary though. Of course should this be the timeline I experience then I'll also get Christmas off which will be such a shame lol. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't hoping for a November/December op. This is only an estimated timeline though and I'd be foolish to really believe that it'll happen like that. All kinds of things could postpone things so I'm trying to remain level headed about it all. At least though, I do have that light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.