Yesterday I recieved some very bad news in that an old school friend had died. It hit me really hard, despite the fact that we hadn't seen each other in years. When I got home after work I recieved some more bad news in that another old school friend had died in a separate incident. This post is dedicated to the both of them.
Casey Bothamley 1981 -2012
I knew Casey at primary school right from the infants. We probably first met around 26 Years ago. I'll never forget her bubbly personality and her infectious smile. We sort of followed each other up into juniors before we both went to different secondary schools. It wasn't until I logged onto Facebook nearly 3 years ago that we got back in touch. She hadn't changed one bit. When I 'came out' on Facebook and began posting pictures of the female me she was one of the first to comment and we had one or two chats about it. She was so good and do supporting about it all and I will honestly never forget that.
Her sudden death came as a huge shock, mainly because she was my age. She had a heart attack at 30!! She was pregnant and leaves behind a husband and a young daughter and my heart goes out to them, it really does.
Shane Hale 1982-2012
I grew up on the same street as Shane and were in the same classes at school. We ended up going to secondary school too and he used to get up to all kinds of mischief. School wasn't a very nice experience for me for certain reasons but laughing at Shanes antics made it bearable. I can remember knocking about with him in the school holidays too. Of course, as I left home we lost touch, until the magic of Facebook. He was so good about the whole trans thing which really surprised me. I have no doubt that age had matured him although from what I've heard, he still enjoyed himself.
Both of these deaths have really hit me. One moment I'll be fine, the next I'll be in tears. I think that the shock has really affected me coupled with the fears about my own mortality. Neither Shane of Casey will have gotten up knowing it was their last day. While that is a blessing in itself, it does make you understand the fragility of life and how it can end so suddenly.
These two people were a part of my childhood. I may have not seen them for years but they were still a part of my life and contributed to the person I am today.
Tragic news, I can't begin to imagine how you must feel.
ReplyDeleteNone of us have a guaranteed time here. We live just one breath away from death.
ReplyDeleteMakes you realise that there is no point wasting life living a lie. Best not put off getting the life you want.