So, this morning I told my boss that I'll need time off next year for the op. She was completely fine about it and so I even told her why I need an op. She didn't bat an eyelid. I still think that she already knew about my gender, or at least had inklings. She was a little too fine, if you know what I mean.
Last night I had a look at my old blog, Breaking Free of the Bud, and I was hit by an unbelievable coincidence. I started that Blog on the 24th March 2008 , five years from the date when I'm due to have SRS! Im not a great believer in fate, I don't like to believe that our lives are already written. When you are hit by a coincidence such as that, it does make you think though. In that first post I talked about a job offer I'd received from a restaurant in Spain. I knew that my 'dressing' would have to take a serious back seat and so it was a hard choice to make. What made it harder was that just a week before I'd enjoyed my first night out as Emma. Now five years on, I'm due to have my SRS. It was written, surely.
Last night another thing happened. I had an SRS related dream. I was in the hospital and on the ward. I'd been talking with a few of the other patients and had shaved myself down there. Then it was time to be taken down for the op. A nurse came and wheeled me down on the bed and I was wheeled into a small room. There, the nurse started sticking needles in me and 'prepping' me for the op. Then Mr Bellringer walked in and started speaking to me about the procedure before putting my legs on these hoist things and lifting them up. At that moment the nurse said 'right, we're all set. Now, count down from five with me'. I started counting down and slowly drifted out of consciousness. Next thing I know, I'm waking up. It took me a while before I realised (with a bit of disappointment) that it had only been a dream and that I still had 178 days to wait (not that I'm counting down or anything). I'm almost certain that this won't be the last of the SRS related dreams, infact I'd be kinda annoyed if it
was.
I'm actually doing a lot of reading at the moment, scouring the Internet for accounts from people who've actually had the op. I'm in a bit of a planning frenzy you could say, making lists over what I'll need for the hospital stay and what I'll need for the recovery period. I'm even making a list of films and tv shows to put on my IPad to pass the time if need be. It's amazing the little tips you pick up though. I was reading through someones account yesterday (hence the dream) and she suggested Dry Shampoo as you can't shower until your vaginal packing comes out. I would never have even considered that. It just goes to show that you can never plan enough.
More than anything I feared the boredom of a week in bed on my back...
ReplyDeleteAs it turned out I have just found the DVD, one of a small pile, which I put into the laptop when I went for my op. It is still in the laptop and I have not watched more than the ten minutes I watched during that week of recovery! There was so much going on with being checked up on and fed etc that there was hardly any time to concentrate for long and if I tried I fell asleep.
As they always say, your experience may differ...
I agree with Caroline, you will be kept busy having all the blood pressure, heart rate and temperature checks, eating tablets, having injections, emptying catheter leg bags and chatting to your fellow room mates. You won't have time for watching films or reading books and that is also if you have the concentration span to do anything for more than 3 minutes before you either give up, get interrupted or fall asleep. They wake you up at 6:30am and it's lights out at 10pm, but the days sure go fast :o) x
ReplyDeleteOh....and baby wipes and nappy sacks really come in use :o) x
ReplyDelete