Wednesday, 2 January 2013

2012 in Review-part 2-Transition



I sat and drunk my champagne. I'd gotten myself one of those small, one glass bottles. I reflected on what had been a very quiet year. Nothing much had happened in my life in 2011. In previous years I'd had at least one big event to talk about but 2011 had offered nothing. I looked towards 2012 and smiled. I think that I knew that this year would be a return to form and looking back it's certainly not disappointed.

As I begun 2012 I had a slight hope that it would be the year in which I had the op. a part of me was actually quite nervous about the possibility of it being in 2013 due to my concern at the number 13. It's stupid I know but I've always been wary of that particular number, I don't know why. As I hit 30 I had yet another appointment at Nottingham GIC. It was at this appointment that a date was set for my second opinion appointment. To gain a surgery referral on the NHS you need recommendation letters from 2 psychologists. In other GIC's you have to go to a different GIC for the 2nd recommendation. In Nottingham they do it all in house as it's such a big GIC. My appointment was set for the 11th June and that 3 months didn't half drag. As the day grew closer I began to get so nervous. I kept thinking what if they didn't refer me. It was a terrifying thought and it kept me awake on many a night. Soon the day arrived and I headed into Nottingham for my appointment. I needn't have worried as I got my referral. I was told to expect a long wait as the waiting lists for CHX were starting to pile up.

It was in August when I got a phone all off my mum. I was just finishing up in work when she called me to tell me that she thought my CHX appointment had arrived. I drove home as quick as I could and tore open the letter and it was my appointment. I was to go to CHX on the 20th September for my referral appointment. Basically it was to check my eligibility for surgery. I was so excited and on the morning of Thursday 20th September I boarded the train at Chesterfield.

The appointment lasted all of 10 minutes. I saw Dr Bellringer and he ran through everything with me. It was obvious he did these kinds of appointment a lot as everything was done in almost military fashion. He examined the 'area' and I was put on his surgery waiting list there and then. I was so happy!

I spent the rest of the day doing a spot of sightseeing. I saw Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Tower Bridge and The Tower of London. It was an amazing day out and one I'll never forget.

I had to wait another four days until I got my official surgery date. I got the call on Monday 24th September from CHX admissions. At first I got offered a cancellation which fell on the 25th November 2012. I was so tempted to accept it but I knew that logically it would be difficult. It was extremely reluctantly that I had to refuse that date although I knew it was for the best. The date she ended up allocating me was for the 25th March 2013, six months away! It felt like a lifetime away!

For the following three months I began planning things. I got a big box and I began filling it with things I'd need for the hospital stay and post-op recovery. Now, over three months have passed and I'm just 82 days away from surgery. It's really starting to be real now. Next month I have my Pre-surgical assessments at CHX which means another trip down to London and five weeks after that I'll have the op! The next big thing is stopping hormones which I do in six weeks and that's something I'm dreading. When I first started hormones I got it bad with mood swings and I'm a bit scared that it'll be a bit of a repeat performance. All in all though, 2013 looks to be a huge year in my life and I honestly can not wait for the coming months.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to hear the process, Em. I was chatting with a few friends about coming off HRT pre-op and they were saying it was pretty uncomfortable for them. They were saying just imagine your most hormonal day and multiply it by 10! Let us know how you get on with things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all different, I had no problems being off my HRT...

    Guaranteed Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.