Saturday, 19 January 2013

A Life Back On Track

It's definately been a stressful start to 2013. I really hope that the rest of the year is slightly more stress free! A couple of weeks ago I posted about my work worries and how things were quickly turning 'sour'. I also mentioned about an option that I had of a possible job in Devon. Well, last Monday I drove the 240 miles down to see the place and have an interview. It was a hellish drive in parts, it really was. The weather was quite bad with the snow and sleet and the fact that I spent 220 miles on the motorway made it quite a boring drive too. I can remember getting to Bristol and thinking that I must be nearly there before looking at the sat nav, only to see that I had another 70 miles to go!

I arrived at around 3ish in the afternoon and I was soon chatting away to the owner of the pub, Julie. She (along with her husband Gary) knew me in my 'old life' and she had one or two questions as she showed me to my room for the night. I just relaxed for the next few hours before I did an evening shift in the kitchen. Afterwards I had a few drinks in the bar with Gary. It was nice to catch up again after 5 years! I used to spend a lot of time in Gary's pub in Bakewell and so the level of acceptance I was now receiving was great. It did really feel like old times, but better.

The next morning I had my breakfast before I had a little stroll around Bovey Tracy. It's a nice village and reminded me a lot of Bakewell. It's literally in the shadow of Dartmoor. When I got back I had my interview. I hate interviews, always have. I did well though, gave all the right answers. The one sticking point was my op though. 10 weeks is a lot of time to have off so I could totally see their point. Driving back I knew that if I didn't get the job, then that would be the reason why.

The next day (Wednesday) I waited for the call. It was a call that would either make the next year easy or make things even more complicated than they were. If I got the job then I could actually start looking forward to my op. I would be ok financially and wouldn't have to worry about sick pay. If I didn't get the job then I'd basically be back to square one. At just past 7pm I got the call and thankfully they offered me the job! It's essentially sorted my life out after an extremely uncertain time. I move down on the 28th January and for the first few months I'll be living in which means I'll save on Petrol. I'll also save on rent and so financially I'm pretty much sorted. They are also ok about my surgery and my time off.

After I got the job I actually found out an interesting bit of info. Basically, the place I'm leaving has new managers now and they've got their own chef! Had I not got the job, I'd have lost my current job anyway, been out on my ear! As it is, I've kept my pride because I'm leaving on my own terms. It's funny how timing works sometimes. I am annoyed though. Despite my hard work, despite the fact that I did December on my own in that kitchen, I'd have been slung out on the scrap heap. How dare they! I have got a couple of things in mind, just to leave my mark. Not saying too much but I still have control, sole control, over the Facebook page of the pub, a page that has 100+ followers. Let's just say that those followers will be in no doubt of my disdain for the people in charge. After I've received my final wage of course lol.

For me, I get a new start, a brand new start. It couldn't be happening at a more perfect time, this move to Devon. I just want to get started.

5 comments:

  1. Em,
    I'm so happy for you. Glad that things worked out for you in Devon. At long last, your surgery is in sight. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news on the job front! Congratulations!

    Stace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following so many on this path you read of so many horrible things happen but your last post had me fearing the worst I hardly had the courage to look back!

    So many of us give so much more of ourselves than average, people are fools not to employ us. So glad that you have found a good place to be at this important point in your life and for introducing me to the new expression "ping ping restaurant", at last I have a good way of insulting somewhere which does not come up to standard by saying that it is no more than a PPR! Curses upon your old employers. One day soon you will be in charge again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news. But do keep any ill-will between you and your current employers private. You have the moral high ground, make sure you stay there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just started following your blog, really glad your situation has improved on the job front!
    Be careful about any remarks you leave on the fb page though, you don't want people takingn it to thwe next step to spite you by claiming slander.
    All the best with this year =)
    Jessica.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.