At the beginning of December my bosses walked out. The pub was then taken on by the owner of the building and I was made Head Chef. At the time I requested a pay rise in line with my extra work load and responsibilities and was told that I'd get one in January. In the mean time I'd get paid for any overtime I did. I accepted this because I was happy at being given the opportunity of running my own kitchen. Finally I'd made Head Chef.
Fast forward six weeks and I'm now looking at being out of work just two months before my surgery! Basically the owner of the building wants to get the pub off his hands as soon as possible. It's for that reason that I'm not going to be given my pay rise anytime soon, nor can I expect a contract. Essentially I'm a going concern within the business so were he to give me a pay rise, that would make it more difficult to sell the pub as the new owner would have to honour my wages. The rumour mill is that that new owner could be a guy called Rupe. He's a big influence in the village, down to his fathers wealth, and wants to add the pub to his 'empire'. Were he to get the pub then I'd almost certainly be out of a job. His plans would be to do ping-ping meals at cheap prices which would mean the end of me. The owner is having a meeting with Rupe tomorrow so I should know whats happening by Wednesday.
I'm terrified because this could not be happening at the worst time. Basically I need to find a new job then I need to expect that new employer to be ok with me having three months off soon! It is a nightmare, absolute nightmare! I really wish I'd walked at the start of December because I feel really used. I worked December on my own in that kitchen, kept the doors open and I could be left high and dry. It's so unfair, so unbelievably unfair! Financially I could be screwed. I need some money to be put aside to pay my bills and I need some form of sick pay while I'm off. My car finance, dept management, car insurance and phone bill will not pay themselves, I am so scared.
I'm really trying not to panic, trying to be positive. It is so hard though, I just want to cry. I'm not sleeping and the stress is making me ill. I will get through this, I know that. I have a habit of surviving don't I. I do have options. The old landlady of my local when I lived in Bakewell has been in touch. Her and her husband, Gary, have now got a place in Bovey Tracy which is near Devon. It's around four hours drive away so not a straightforward commute. They're looking for a Chef and I know that the job would be mine if I wanted it. They'd probably even accommodate the three months off. Whats more, they knew me before, in my old life, so would look after me. Had I not got the op coming up I would be down there like a shot. Ultimately, despite the distance, it would be the best option for me. The other option is that I look for a job closer to home and put myself on the line again. This should not be happening now, it really shouldn't! It's like the perfect storm of crap has struck and I honestly have no idea what to do, no idea! I should be thinking about the biggest day of my life, that should be taking up my energies, not having to sort this out!
Ouch, that's unfortunate.
ReplyDeleteHowever, you're still working, i.e. not on the dole, which gives you a breather to plan your campaign.
If I were you I'd take a trip down to Devon, see the place and have a good long chat with them about the job and your immediate future.
Either way you'll make it!
Or jesus!
ReplyDeleteI was just catching up on your December posts, thinking how great it was that you got head chef!
It's unreal that people treat others this way.
The only thing I can say is that I hope you sort the situation out.
Good luck,
Stace
Whoa...the best laid plans....sometimes don't work out.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Jenny. I would be headed to Devon ASAP! Sounds like the ship is going down.
Don't panic yet, Emma. You haven't come this far to run into a brick wall. This is probably just a detour. Will be thinking of you, regardless.