Hello, me again. I know I don't post as often as I used to but I quite like this way of working my blog these days. I can remember that when I was in the midst of transition a few years ago that I'd post two or three times a week. I actually felt under pressure some times to post, as though missing a day was a sin! Now though I post when I want, or when there is actually something to post about.
So what's been happening in my world over the past two weeks? Well I've started volunteering at the nursery at a local primary school. I used to go to Highfield Hall myself over twenty years ago and it's the school I'd most like to teach at once I qualify. I just enquired by emailing the head teacher and a few days later I'd secured a voluntary placement. Now just before Christmas I got a voluntary placement at a local special needs school and I only went once. I was perhaps a bit rash in giving up so easy but I just didn't feel like I fit in there. I couldn't really connect with the pupils there because I just couldn't relate to their disabilities. At Highfield Hall it's different. The kids are all pre-school age and I feel I have more to offer them. I've been twice now and I really enjoy it. It's fascinating working with these young kids and I honestly feel good about myself that I'm giving up my own time to do it. There is method behind it though as doing the voluntary work will give me great experience for when I apply to University later on in the year.
As regards to my transition, I had my appointment at Nottingham G.I.C. last week. It was very productive in that he told me what I need to be aware of as I continue my life. I can still get prostate cancer for example and that's something I may need to tell doctors later on in life. I'll also need to get annual blood tests done and I need to keep an eye on my hormone levels. I've decided not to discharge myself from the G.I.C. just yet although I've not got another appointment with Dr Bouman booked. If I need to see him then I can but it'll be at my discretion. The reason I've not discharged myself fully from the care of the G.I.C. yet is that facial hair removal is part of the new guidelines and I'll need to still be with the G.I.C. to get that. Something that isn't in the new guidelines is Breast Augmentation which means that I could be one of the last trans patients to get B.A. on the NHS. I personally think that B.A. should be available as it's improved my life no end. I feel confident, less self-conscious and like a woman which is surely the aim of transition. Or at least one of the aims of transition!
Hello Emma,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Gayle and I found your story quite fascinating. It seems quite similar in many ways to the many other stories of this type, but your seems different in that you managed to get things sorted at a relatively early age. Having passed this way many years ago, I realize how much things have changed. Nevertheless you seem to be finding your way quite well and so I wish you all the best.
Just follow your heart while using your head.
xox Gayle