Sunday, 16 March 2014

Done With Transition!!!

     I can still recall the darkness and the loneliness as I sat on my bed, tears streaming down my face. I was a boy of perhaps five or six and even then I knew that something was desperately wrong. I knew that I wanted to be a girl and from then that desire only grew. I did manage to suppress it for many years but the yearning never really went away. From those early days that dream to be a girl turned into an impossible dream. It was something I never really imagined would come true.

     Nearly a year ago I had my Gender Realignment Surgery and I felt, at the time, that my journey was over. I felt like I'd achieved that impossible dream. The truth was though that despite my surgery, despite the fact that I was living completely as a woman, by law I was still male. That's something that really got to me, the fact that my birth certificate still said male. I felt female, I was female. Everyone who saw me saw me as female yet in the eyes of the law I was male. 
My GRC

     On Wednesday last week my application for a Gender Recognition Certificate went before the panel in Leicester. I was really nervous about it despite the fact that I really didn't have to be. There was just something at the back of my mind that kept saying that I wouldn't have it that easy. My GRC was my last hurdle and something kept telling me that I wouldn't be able to get over it. I've had such a smooth transition, it couldn't end that smooth;y could it?

     On Thursday I received through the post a big brown envelope and my Gender Recognition Certificate. I went to my room and I cried. I was in floods of tears at the mere sight of this rather plain looking certificate that said that I was female. The following day I received the draft of my new birth certificate and I cried once more.

     My transition is over! I am now a woman physically and in the eyes of the law. I can now get married, claim a pension at female retirement age and I'm protected by sex discrimination laws as a female. Essentially now I'm no longer considered as a transsexual but as a woman and the feels so great. I honestly feel like I'm at the end of this journey, like I've crossed the finish line. I can now get on with living, get on with enjoying my life as a woman.
Me on the 14th March 2014

Me on the day I went
 full-time (6th June 2010)
     I'm not ending this blog, that I promise. I've tried ending it before yet I've always come back, felt the need to blog. While my GRC represents the end of one journey, I have many more to travel. My transition is over, officially at an end. That's why the title has changed. It's a transition that has lasted for 4 years, when I went full-time. Look at how much I've changed!!!

3 comments:

  1. And a very nice woman you are, too. Your journey so far has been amazing, Emma, and so readable, and encouraging. What can I say? Well done, Miss :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Emma! So inspiring! You look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a pleasure to follow your journey online, Emma.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.