Tuesday, 11 March 2014

The Yellow Looking Glass of The Wizard of Wonderland

     My book has reached the editing phase now! It's proving to be a really long process but also strangely therapeutic. It's meant I've had to revisit certain parts of my past, certain blog posts I wrote. It is a very rewarding process though. As my book is nearing completion I've been giving serious thought to a title. I've looked at a lot of the other transition books out there and the thing that struck me is that you know what they are about before you even open them. I don't want people to see my book as just another transition story but as a story of a journey, of hope, of an impossible dream come true. I'm also a big fan of hidden meanings and of symbolism and I want the title of my book to reflect that. The title of a book can often be just as important as the contents so it's something I'm giving considerable thought to.

     An idea I had was to link the title in with something. One of my favourite ever shows was Lost and something I used to love about it was how the episode titles linked in with things. They often named named episodes with links to popular literature such as The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, etc. I want to do something similar with my book and might even do the same with the chapter titles.

     So, what could I link it in with. Well, ultimately my story is about a journey and about hope and one of the most famous journeys is Dorothy's in The Wizard of Oz. Her's is a story about a journey along a fraught path filled with obsticles and danger. Its a story of hope and of desire, of a need to get somewhere. It's a story that really links in with my life. I'm thinking of going for the title of The Yellow Brick Road which I think fits it really well. I may have to split the book in two (it's currently at 200,000 words!) so I'd call my second book Over The Rainbow.

     Obviously I'm open to any suggestions for the titles of both my books so any advice is helpful. Thankyou.

3 comments:

  1. Hi. Long time, no see. :-)

    Good luck with the book. The word count does sound high, so maybe splitting it, is one way forward. Are you planning on sending it off, or trying your hand at self publishing? That's changed things so much with all the e-books technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Lynn, yeah long time no see!

    I'm going to start researching some publishing options soon. I have thought about self publishing but I wouldn't have a clue where to start with that. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon have a newsletter about self publishing, if that's your thing. I guess the trick would be getting news about your book out there.

      Have you read A Love Less Ordinary? That's a book published by another blogger. I wonder if the author would be willing to help you? I do like volunteering other people ;-)

      Delete

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.