Today I got a brown envelope and for a moment I was filled with excitement. There's only one reason I'd be getting a brown envelope and for just a moment I imagined putting a new date into the countdown app. When I noticed the Nottingham postmark I knew that it couldn't be what I'd hopped and alas it was just a questionaire. The letter I'm waiting for should have a London or a Brighton Postmark and should contain details of an appointment with either Mr Bellringer or Mr Thomas.
Each night, just as I turn into my street, I think for a moment that that letter will have arrived. I imagine how I'll feel when I read it, how I'll react. I imagine going into work and booking the time off and I imagine the train journey. I think about which book I'll take and then I realize that I'll probably be too nervous to read anything. I imagine meeting my future surgeon and I imagine what he'll sound like. I imagine coming out of his office and heading back home a surgical slot booked. The following six months fly by and I picture being on the ward, awaiting the surgery. I imagine the other people on the ward and I imagine the smell. I think about how I'll feel when I'm on my way into theater and I think about waking up after the op. For that moment, right before I pull my car onto the drive, I smile.
That letter will arrive one day and that day can not come soon enough!
Ward? I had a private room...
ReplyDeleteSmell? You must be thinking 1950's NHS hospital. it was more like a fancy hotel...
How will you feel on waking? Hope you feel as happy as I was...
Hope that envelope comes soon.
Perhaps I was lucky, I did not feel nervous in the slightest because I was exactly where I needed to be...
I think it was 8 months I waited for that letter to arrive, but that was probably due to Dr Terry retiring. Hopefully your letter arrives much sooner ;o) x .......PS it came in a white envelope
ReplyDelete