Friday, 24 February 2012

A Catch Up With Friends

Yesterday I popped over to Nottingham to pay a visit to the Nottingham Chameleons. I've mentioned Chameleons a few times but for those who don't know, Chameleons is a trans support group based just off junction 26 in Nottingham. It's one of the oldest groups in the country I believe. It's base purpose is as a means for support from like minded people. It's at a safe venue which makes it ideal for those venturing out for the first time. It's also a group which has really began moving with the times. I went a few years ago (about a year before I went full-time) and it was nice. The thing that struck me though was that it seemed to mainly be attended by middle aged transvestites/cross dressers and at 27 years old I guess it maybe wasn't my thing. These days though it seems to be attended by a more diverse group of people. Although I'm still one of the youngest, there's a wide range of people right across the gender spectrum. Some of it's members have even began venturing to the pub afterwards which is great. It's all well and good meeting in a community centre but that doesn't beat going out in public. I'm full-time so I'm out in public all the time but for a fledling cross-dresser, going to the pub is a huge undertaking but something that kinda has to be done. It's almost like the last great barrier and once you've crossed it you really never look back. For some, dressing behind closed doors is enough but I'm of the personal view that the only way that being trans is ever going to become the true norm is if the trans community makes it's self known.

     Anyway, so off I went into Nottingham. I've made a bit of a compromise in that I'm not going to involve myself too much with the scene. I'll still support the monthly Nottingham Invasion and I'll still attend Chams when I can. Attending Chams is good though as I can now go as a supporting member. Last night I caught up with a lady who I've met a few times there. She's due to start her RLE in a few weeks time and is actually attending the Notts GIC. It was great for me to offer my experience and advice and I hope that she will benefit from that. I do think that that is where my immediate future regarding the community lies. I have a true experience of how to transition successfully and it's important that I can help others to transition. There are also a few others who are in the initial assessment part of the diagnosing process at Notts GIC and I'm actually quite enjoying offering my advice to them.

     After the Chams meeting a few of us (well 4 of us to be exact) popped over to The New Forresters in Nottingham town center. It was reasonably busy but we still found a comfy spot to sit. A gay guy came over at one point and started asking questions. He aimed them mostly at Lynn (of YATGB (Yet Another T-Girl Blog fame) and Maddy, thankfully leaving me alone. He did actually take me for a natal woman which definitely did the ego a service. To be fair though, I do pass really well (18 months on hormones have definitely helped) so it's a rare thing for me to be 'read' anyway. One question that he did ask Lynn and Maddy was regarding whether they've had or were planning to have the op. Should it really matter what's between our legs? Is that the basis for society to exist? In all fairness he was very drunk so I guess that you have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He did remark that I looked very pretty so he was alright in my book at least (I refer to the fact he was drunk though lol).

     This is the 2nd trans thing I've attended since I had the problems regarding where I saw myself on things and it's kinda proved that I can still attend these things as a woman. For me it's about seeing friends first and foremost. I like to think that I've got a nice circle of friends now (people who I wouldn't have met were it not for the community). We don't judge each other and to me they are women. I remarked how surreal it was to see Tiff as a man after the Notts Invasion a week ago and even now I still she her as a woman. It's a really strange thing I know. The truth is though that these people are more feminine than a lot of the natal females you see on the street. It's great that we can chat about normal things. Me and Maddy had a great little chat about the upcoming super hero movies for example before the conversation moved onto 80's comedy (a little before my time I might like to add lol). That's what it should be about though, friends catching up and talking about normal things.

   

2 comments:

  1. you have a nice circle off friends Emma you are a lucky girl,,,,,,,,Sam,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chap may have been drunk, but he was right, you are pretty Emma. A good night all round with good friends. Yay. :o) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.