Wednesday, 22 February 2012

To Young To Be Diagnosed?

Recently a story broke about a little boy who's now being raised as a girl. Not only that but he's been diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria and is the youngest child in Britain to have received such a diagnosis. Now there are obviously a lot of ethical questions being asked, the main one being that he can't know what he wants at such a young age (5 I believe). I knew at 6 that I wanted to be a girl. I can still remember the dreams I had and the crying I did in the dead of night. I used to pray that I'd wake up as a girl, that I'd be allowed to wear pretty clothes and grow my hair. I knew at that young age what and who I really was. Now, at nearly 30 years old I'm living as a woman, developing as a woman and soon I'll be complete. I do think that it's perhaps a bit early to diagnose at that age but the child should be allowed to dress and behave how she feels and wants. She should be monitored closely and if she still feels that way at 10-11 years old then puberty should be postponed via injections. 

     I do think that there is a lot of fuss about nothing though. Just because she's been diagnosed doesn't mean much at the moment. She's still along way from any kind of surgery and if she is gender dysphoric then at least she won't have a ruined childhood. She'll be able to have a childhood that so many who transition only wish they had and that's surely not something that we should be looking to prevent. 

3 comments:

  1. I knew before my sisters arrived when I was three and when I was four I decided that I had to freeze my emotions and never cry so as to hide my true self while I waited and tried to work out why everyone was so sure that I would grow into a man!

    Three generations have passed since the world learned of sex change operations but we still have a medical service which stubbornly refuses to accept the facts.

    They probably still insist that the earth is flat and the sun orbits rounds the earth!!!

    What a lucky kid with a chance for a real life while so many of us had to spend decades hidden away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew at 4 or 5 that I wanted to be, and was, a girl. You are absolutely correct, as far as i am concerned, that children should be allowed to express the gender that they feel that they are, regardless of anatomical sex. I also feel that they should be and allowed to have puberty blocking therapy should they continue to feel that way.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for reading and taking the time to comment on this post.